Sunday, February 28, 2010

Players return to camp following illness

JUPITER, Fla. -- Four Cardinals players and a coach who had been struck by an internal illness returned to camp on Sunday. The ailment has swept through the Cards' clubhouse, with one player estimating that 18 players have come down with it since camp began. Kyle Lohse, Skip Schumaker, Blake Hawksworth, Robert Stock and first-base coach Dave McKay all missed Saturday's workout but returned to action on Sunday.

The good news is that in nearly every case, it has been a one-day matter. The bad news is that that one day can be extremely unpleasant.

"I feel a lot better right now than I did yesterday at this time," Lohse said on Sunday afternoon.

Hawksworth had been scheduled to throw live batting practice on Saturday but missed that session. Instead, he threw a bullpen session on Sunday, which will allow him to get back on schedule with a live-BP throw on Tuesday.

Lohse, meanwhile, remains slated to face hitters on Monday.

"I'm feeling pretty tired right now, but other than that, tomorrow I should be fine," Lohse said. "As long as I get some food in me. I've got a throw tomorrow and I should be all right for that. I've got to pace it a little bit I guess, probably."

No comments:

Post a Comment