Sunday, February 28, 2010

Chacin tries to beat odds, make roster

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Folks wanted to get to know Rockies right-handed pitcher Jhoulys Chacin last year during Spring Training.

They wanted to see the pitches that led to startling Minor League numbers the previous year. They wanted to see how he'd do against Major League hitters. They wanted to learn to pronounce his name. Of course, as is the case with prospects, all this information was to store away for later, since he stood no chance to make the Opening Day roster.

In 2010, there are other new guys in camp. And although "yo-LEES cha-SEEN" rolls out almost musically, he isn't hearing his name called much by curious outsiders early in camp.

But Chacin, 22, who made it to the Majors for nine games last season, hopes those who count will call his name when it really matters.

"It's not like last year -- I just showed what I could do," Chacin said. "This year, I'm going to fight for one spot in the rotation, or as a reliever, whatever. I want to be on the roster the first day of the season.

"I have to start in Triple-A, I'm going to try to do the same. I'll try to pitch well and wait for my moment one day. I want to be on the roster the first day."

Making the team this spring is a lofty goal. It's also unlikely, given that the Rockies have five solid starters, a couple of reinforcements with Major League experience and a seasoned bullpen. The staff is structured so Chacin and other starting pitching prospects -- such as Samuel Deduno, Esmil Rogers and Christian Friedrich -- can complete their development.

"If there was a need for one of those, it would probably be in the bullpen. But in our perfect script, it would be for them to remain a starter, to get their continued progress as a starter, continue to develop," Rockies pitching coach Bob Apodaca said. "Those guys will all get a number of opportunities here in Spring Training to pitch, especially early, and to see the progress from last year to this year."

Last year, Chacin was 8-6 with a 3.14 ERA at Double-A Tulsa when the Rockies called him up on July 24 and threw him into important innings for a team fighting for a playoff berth. He began his career with three scoreless relief appearances. Then he yielded a solo shot to the Cubs' Kosuke Fukudome, but nothing else in two innings of the Rockies' 6-5 loss on Aug. 8.

"I saw some very good Major League hitters take some awful feeble hacks at his secondary pitches," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said.

The strong work led Tracy to choose Chacin, over veteran Josh Fogg, to make a spot start start against the Pirates on Aug. 11. But Chacin was gone after giving up four runs -- with six walks and just one hit -- in 2 2/3 innings of a 7-3 loss.

"I took for granted after everything I had heard after an 18-3 season [at two Class A levels] the year before about the fastball command, but he was not commanding his fastball last year," Tracy said.

Chacin would be sent back to Triple-A Colorado Springs until September. He would finish 0-1 with a 4.91 ERA in nine appearances, but the rough start motivated him to pitch in winter ball in his native Venezuela (1-2, 4.45 ERA in eight starts for Caracas).

"I'm looking for another opportunity, so I can start and pitch good," he said. "That's why I pitched in Venezuela. I tried to do a lot with my control.

"Last year, I didn't know too many things. I think this year is going to be better than last year."

No comments:

Post a Comment