Sunday, February 28, 2010

Now clad in blue, Vlad eyes rebound

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Reminders of Vladimir Guerrero's previous employer were in full view Sunday morning.

At 7:55 a.m., Guerrero pulled into the Rangers' parking lot at the Surprise Recreation Campus, driving a pristine red Range Rover with California license plates. He appeared a few minutes later sporting a short-sleeved red T-shirt tucked into jeans so faded that they looked like grey baseball pants. His shoes were crimson.

From a distance, it appeared as if a member of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim was headed toward the Rangers clubhouse and in one way, that's exactly what was taking place.

Part of Guerrero's career will always be associated with the Angels, but for now, the designated hitter is a Ranger. His focus is on his future in Texas and helping his new club return to the playoffs for the first time since 1999. At the age of 35, he's also trying to fit in for the first time in a long time. He played in Montreal for eight seasons before joining the Angels in 2004.

"I spent a lot of time in Anaheim, but here I am in Texas," he said. "I've been here about five or six days and I'm getting to know the guys. Everybody has been really nice to me. I know I'm going to like it here."

Once in the clubhouse, Guerrero changed into his new blue shorts, blue workout shirt and looked more like one of the guys. He chatted up Julio Borbon and Neftali Feliz. Endy Chavez joined the conversation and soon a group of Latin players gravitated to the soft-spoken veteran's corner of the room.

It was only 8:09 a.m. and Guerrero was already making time with his new teammates. He was one of the most popular players in the clubhouse during his six years with the Angels because of the way he treated his teammates. He also made teammates chuckle because he always wore the same blue Superman T-shirt and red shorts before games.

"Vlad is a special person and probably the most unassuming superstar that's ever played the game of baseball," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "He loves to play baseball. He's very low maintenance and just wants to come in and play. I'll be very surprised if he was anything but comfortable in any situation that he is in. The Rangers will understand his sense of humor and they will understand the passion he has for this game. I'm sure he will fit in well there."

Several Rangers players were asked to describe Guerrero in one word and the common response was "quiet." Few players had the words to describe Guerrero's impact on the field.

"Wow. He's one of us now," Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz said. "We're taking him in and taking advantage of his experience. He's a big figure in this game so we are happy he is in this clubhouse and not the Angels."

Earlier this year, Guerrero agreed to a one-year contract worth $5.5 million with a mutual option for 2011. He is coming off a disappointing season that saw him hit a career-low .295 with 15 home runs and 50 RBIs in 383 at-bats. His .334 on-base percentage and .460 slugging percentage were also his lowest in 13 full seasons in the Majors.

His goal for 2010 is a simple one.

"My main goal is to stay healthy," he said. "Last year was a down year for me and I know that. I had problems with my knee and my shoulder but thank God I'm healthy again. We'll see what happens this year in Texas."

Guerrero will be the team's DH, but he said he also wants to the play the outfield when he can. Last year, he made just two starts in the field and was used primarily as a designated hitter after undergoing offseason knee surgery. He went on the disabled list for a torn chest muscle from April 18-May 25 and again for a strained left knee from July 10-Aug. 4.

Some wonder if Guerrero's best days are behind him. Others think his career is on the decline because it appears that his bat speed has slowed down.

"With the injuries that he had in the knees and in the shoulders, your bat would slow down, too," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "He's healthy right now and I don't see anything wrong with his bat speed. I think because of the age bracket he was in and that happens when people begin to assume. I think when you get to that point, it's all about the individual and how you feel about yourself. He says he feels good and that's good enough for me."

Guerrero has been good against Texas. He has a .396 career average against the Rangers, the highest of any opponent with at least 150 at-bats against them, and his .394 batting average and .705 slugging percentage at the Ballpark in Arlington are the highest by any player with at least 50 games played there.

"He's very professional and he goes about his business," Washington said. "He's very influential. You always know that he is on the field. He may not have his mouth open talking but you know he is on the field. All you have to do is listen when he's swinging that bat."

Guerrero is also a hit off the field. Guerrero's mother, Altagracia Alvino, is famous across the league for her cooking and it was not uncommon for her to feed as many as 20 players after games. Guerrero delivered Tupperware bowls full of food for players that could not make it to his house.

"I've been doing it since I was in Montreal and that's something it makes me happy to do," he said. "We eat and we laugh. Any time I see my old teammates, I'll have food for them. I'm going to do the same thing for my teammates in Texas."

Guerrero should also be happy he won't have to stop wearing his favorite color in 2010. Last year, the Rangers brought back their red uniforms.

"I always liked the color red even before I was in Anaheim. It's a good color," he said. "Maybe I have to get a blue car now, too."

No comments:

Post a Comment