Monday, February 8, 2010

Kennedy out to prove he's not done yet

Adam Kennedy said he agreed to terms with the Nationals on Thursday night because he will become the team's everyday second baseman, likes the way the team's 40-man roster is being constructed and is familiar with manager Jim Riggleman and hitting coach Rick Eckstein. All three were together with the Cardinals organization in 2007.

Kennedy, 34, brings playoff experience to Washington. In 2002, he was the American League Championship Series MVP after hitting three home runs against the Twins in Game 5. He also helped the Angels win a World Series title that year.

Kennedy pointed out that there are several players with playoff experience who could help Washington turn things around.

"Regardless if I won or not, I'm just a little piece," Kennedy said. "I'm just trying to fit in. There are some guys who have won, like Pudge [Rodriguez]. I'm not the only one that knows how to win. It should be fun -- everybody kind of blending in and ready for a good season."

Kennedy was the Nationals' No. 2 target to play second base behind Orlando Hudson, who signed a one-year, $5 million deal with the Twins on Thursday. Once the Nats found out they were out of the Hudson sweepstakes, they signed Kennedy within an hour.

The left-handed-hitting Kennedy actually had a better 2009 season than Hudson. Kennedy hit .289 with 11 home runs, 63 RBIs and 20 stolen bases in 129 games for the Athletics. The previous two years, he played in just a combined 202 games because of injuries and a lack of production.

Kennedy said he was on a mission this past season because he felt a lot of teams believed he was on the downside of his career.

"I had a little bit of a hardship in St. Louis in 2007. I made sure that was never going to happen again," Kennedy said. "I was given an opportunity in Oakland to play every day. I was really ready to take advantage of it. I understood what was at stake for me and my career at that point.

"I'm not done yet. I'm only 34 years old. The way my body feels right now, hopefully I could combine that with a little bit of knowledge and go from there."

No comments:

Post a Comment